Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mercy on my back.

This week I accomplished a life goal: I carried an African baby on my back. It was every bit as great as I knew it would be. Her name was Mercy and she was 2 months old. A group of mothers (who are all about my age) tied her on to my back and I carried her with me as we visited the huts in a village that is set a little ways into the bush. A slobber spot spread out on the back of my shirt where her mouth was and I loved it. Mercy’s sister, who was wearing a very tattered veggie tale print dress (gotta love globalization) takes care of her during the day while her mother works, which means Mercy doesn’t eat all day until mommy comes home. It’s babies carrying babies here. When babies cry because they are hungry, their older siblings drip water into their expectant mouths to quiet them. The older sister looked to be only about four years old, but she told me she was seven, severely stunted in growth probably because of malnutrition. The baby spread the entire length of her back when I tied her back on before I left.

I got to see Sharon twice this week…she lives at the same village as Mercy. She smiled a lot more this week. I am starting to genuinely trust God more with her, not that that impacts God’s love or control over her, but it is important for me. We did fingerpainting with the bush kids…it was great fun for all. My favorite part was seeing a train of small children walking home through the tall green grass holding big, bright pictures. It was beautiful.

The wedding was yesterday (Saturday). It was quite the sight to behold. 2000 people attended. Weddings here are like community events, all-inclusive celebrations. I realized that this wedding was a BIG deal, since a Ugandan man was marrying an American woman. This is the first wedding like this to happen in Lira and since Edward (the groom) is already somewhat of a local celebrity…this was THE wedding to attend. During the ceremony, there were about 20 chickens flapping around; they would later be given as wedding presents along with the goats tied to the tree outside the church. My favorite part of the entire hullabaloo was when a group of traditional dancers started to perform and three of the COTN Ugandan staff (Thomas, Ambrose and Jimmy, who was wearing Groucho Marx glasses) ran over and danced nonsensically with them. Thomas looked like an epileptic grasshopper while still maintaining perfect rhythm. It was something that would happen at an American wedding after everyone was a little tipsy. I loved it. All in all, it was a great cultural experience. I will hopefully be able to upload a picture or two soon.

I have been sick for the past 3 days with a cold-ish thing. Headache. Sore throat. Off and on fever. But it has been nice to slow down and rest. I’m hoping tomorrow I will be ready, steady, go.

2 comments:

  1. Im glad you still get to see Sharon :). The wedding sounds fantastic, it must be an incredible feeling to be part of something like that. Love the blog, and love to see what God is doing through you. Take care, cant wait for the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, thanks for sharing your heartfelt stories with me. Know that you matter to Sharon and Mercy and all the lives you touch. Please give my Jeni and hug and kiss for me. I hope and pray you are well soon. Carol Velas

    ReplyDelete